Friday, October 3, 2008

Should I spend money on a website designer for my new Business?

NO!

Well, unless you have buckets of cash to throw at your business, please don't make the same mistake I made. Now don't get me wrong, I like my site, I like it a lot actually. However it's been a money drain, it was $500 to get a designer to create it (though the process was fun!) and another total of almost $200 for the domain name and hosting for 2 years.

I was so excited after I made my decision to go into business for myself that I didn't do things in the proper order. I had no product for my site to sell, so really, it's been a pretty advertisement of nothingness. And it will continue to be just that until I find authors and publish their work.

So if you are starting your business on a shoe string budget, find a host that gives you pre-made choices for website designs and layouts. Choose one, you can then make it unique with your content and photos and products. Later on down the line should you decide to upgrade, feel free, but only if you can afford it.

I put the cart before the horse and I'm paying for it. Learn from my mistake, get everything else you need to have to launch your business in order BEFORE you create a website.

I will say this though, you should purchase your domain name as soon as possible, if it's available. Then wait on the site and hosting.

It's your best bet!

Good Luck All

No comments:

Here Ye Here Ye!

I have changed my business focus which actually suits my blogs name to a tee. I will be building a business around myself, literally. I am shifting away from trying to start my ebook publishing business with other peoples work and instead I will be writing and publishing my own ebooks on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Nobles etc. While I've been published on Yahoo's Associated Content, I am a newbie through and through when it comes to the new frontier of ebooks. I am so scared I wanna pee my pants, but I am going for it anyway!