Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bye Bye Ms. Canadian Pie

My time at Duffie Books is officially over. Actually though, I had taken a medical sabbatical starting just before the 2008 holidays. However, I was planning on returning this summer. But my dear friend Theresa has found it too expensive to keep the doors at Duffie Books open any longer.

I feel badly for the authors, though they are a very talented group of women and I know they will all be fine. I feel badly for myself because I was ready to get back in there and really soak up the learning experiences that I would then use in my own publishing house. But I mostly feel badly for Theresa. She has had to give up her dream, and she doesn't believe she will attempt another business again.

Does this make me scared in reference to my own business? At first it did, for sure. Now, not so much. There are businesses that open and close every day, I believe that Theresa would have been successful sooner rather than later if she could have cashed flowed it a while longer. Also if she and I could have come up with that great publicity sitch to get and her authors on the map.

I believe in my niche concept, so I don't have tales of doom dancing in my head. And I am planning on 2 years from my "live" date to start to see any real profits. With that in mind, I am still VERY excited about listing my first e-book for sale in just a few short months :)

So adios Duffie Books, thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Here Ye Here Ye!

I have changed my business focus which actually suits my blogs name to a tee. I will be building a business around myself, literally. I am shifting away from trying to start my ebook publishing business with other peoples work and instead I will be writing and publishing my own ebooks on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Nobles etc. While I've been published on Yahoo's Associated Content, I am a newbie through and through when it comes to the new frontier of ebooks. I am so scared I wanna pee my pants, but I am going for it anyway!