Thursday, May 10, 2012

Why I'm Still Pursuing Self Publishing Even With Low Sales Numbers

I was over at JA Konrath's blog and read a post by Romance Author Ann Voss Peterson. In it she describes the horrendously low "royalties" she was making as a writer for Harlequin Books, 6% and 2.4%. WTH!

Even with Amazon and Barnes and Noble's lowest royalty rate of 35% and 40% respectively you are way better off.

You can read the whole post here.

You may be asking why a post by a Romance Author should be inspiring me to continue with my journey of self publishing my non-fiction eBooks. The reason is this, the numbers.

Plain and simple I am a single mother with 3 children and 1 grandchild. I would like to be able to support my family in a comfortable lifestyle. I would like to work from home and be able to be there when my boys get home from school. I want to be able to take a few days or a few weeks and be able to visit and reconnect with my daughter who lives 4 hours away. Or with my best friend in California or my cousins in New York City.

And if I am able to make a living as a self published writer, those are things I can do.

I write non-fiction but low royalties are one of the main reasons so many writers (fiction and non-fiction alike) are moving into the realm of self publishing, and why you should too.

So because of scary low ball royalties of 2.4% I will continue to try and find a way that works for me to promote myself and my books.


Because I want a fuller life and the ability to be there for the "every day" things with my kids and grand daughter, I will keep writing and praying.


And because I believe that other single parents can be helped by my eBooks I will soldier on.

Happy writing!

1 comment:

Carlos Thompson said...

I have been following you from the beginning. Registering a business involves formally establishing a legal entity with the relevant government authorities. This process typically includes choosing a business structure (such as sole proprietorship, partnership, or corporation), selecting a business name, and completing the necessary paperwork and registrations. Registering a business grants it legal recognition, permits it to operate within the law, and may confer benefits such as liability protection, access to certain tax incentives, and the ability to conduct transactions. Unlock the full potential of register a business by clicking here to access our exclusive content, including how-to guides, FAQs, and customer testimonials.

Here Ye Here Ye!

I have changed my business focus which actually suits my blogs name to a tee. I will be building a business around myself, literally. I am shifting away from trying to start my ebook publishing business with other peoples work and instead I will be writing and publishing my own ebooks on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Nobles etc. While I've been published on Yahoo's Associated Content, I am a newbie through and through when it comes to the new frontier of ebooks. I am so scared I wanna pee my pants, but I am going for it anyway!