Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Madam C.J. Walker, America's First Self Made Millionairess

Okay, I'll just say it.

I heart The Black Rose. It is the "based on fact with a lil fiction thrown in" story of the infamous and in my opinion, FABULOUS Madam C.J. Walker.



Mrs. Walker is a true inspiration to any woman thinking that her time has passed to go after her dream of starting her business. She was born to slave parents in a small town and was poverty stricken most of her life. She was a washer woman up through and a little beyond the time she decided to change her station in life, and oh yeah, she was 37 years old.

Yep, you read that right. She was 37 years old when she started what would propel her to the title of the first American self made female millionaire. Some say she was the first black female millionaire, but she was actually the first female millionaire period to have made her own fortune and not married into or inherited her wealth. And I believe that if it wasn't too late for her then it isn't too late for any of us!

She started a hair care business geared toward the black community at a time where most black women tried hard to keep out of harms way and simply survive. Her company was the Madam C.J. Walker Manufacturing Company.

There are other books based on her personal life as well as business ventures, a few written by her grand daughter. And while the facts stated were interesting I love the spin of the Novel based on her life much better. It was a lovely, inspiring and oh too fast read. I couldn't put it down. And I walked away from that book invigorated and ready to own my future.

Madam C.J. Walker was a visionary, she was daring and bold and she is my new hero.

If you are in need of inspiration, please check this book out. You can read it gratis from your local library or grab a copy on Amazon for about $2.

No comments:

Here Ye Here Ye!

I have changed my business focus which actually suits my blogs name to a tee. I will be building a business around myself, literally. I am shifting away from trying to start my ebook publishing business with other peoples work and instead I will be writing and publishing my own ebooks on sites like Amazon and Barnes and Nobles etc. While I've been published on Yahoo's Associated Content, I am a newbie through and through when it comes to the new frontier of ebooks. I am so scared I wanna pee my pants, but I am going for it anyway!